Veteran Resources

Veteran Resources

Both the federal government and nonprofit organizations offer money for college to veterans, future military personnel, active duty personnel, and those related to veterans or active duty personnel. Each link below provides an extensive collection of these resources.

UNL Student Union

UNL Finance Center

For scholarships and financial aid specific to UNL:

For more Educational Benefits and how they can be activated at UNL:


When family and personal resources aren't enough, financial aid and scholarships can help provide the finances needed to accomplish your academic goals. At the UNL, more than 2/3 of students receive some form of financial aid to help finance their education.

Student Aid

You may able to receive funds for college for your or your family member’s military service. Discover scholarship and loan repayment assistance.

GI Benefits

The Post- 9/11 GI Bill®
The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.
The Montgomery GI Bill®
The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

Military Tuition Assistance

The Armed Forces offers soldiers, sailors, marines, guardsman, and airmen several programs to support their education goals including up to 100% Tuition Assistance for college courses taken during off-duty hours.

Any questions concerning tuition assistance should be directed to your individual unit's educational office. Applications for tuition credit for the reserves should be taken to Student Accounts, 124 Canfield Administration Building North, (402) 472-2887.

If you have questions about how Financial Aid is utilized at Nebraska- Lincoln, contact either Deb Quinn (402-472-4130) or Joe Brownell (402-472-5276) in the Military and Veteran Success Center

For additional VA Education Benefits Information:

Tutorial Assistance

Will the VA pay for you to have a tutor?

Yes, VA tutorial assistance is available if you’re receiving VA educational benefits at the half-time or higher rate and have a deficiency in a subject that makes tutoring necessary. You can be reimbursed by the VA up to $100 per month, up to a maximum of $1200 in a year. Any tutorial assistance paid in excess of $600 will be taken from your entitlement.

To apply for tutorial assistance, you must complete VA Form 22-1990t. The VA Certifying Official, Deb Quinn, and tutor must sign the form. When the form is complete, turn it into our VA Certifying Official who will mail it to the VA Regional Processing Office.

For an application and/or further information, contact the VA Coordinator, Deb Quinn, at 16 Nebraska Union, (402) 472-4130.

UNL East Campus

Veteran Services

Veterans’ affairs and amenities in the Lincoln vicinity and surrounding areas.

Lincoln VA

VA Education Benefits Toll-Free Number

1-888-GI Bill®-1 (1-888-442-4551)

The St. Louis, Missouri, VA Regional Processing Office (RPO) has established an education toll-free phone service for students with VA Education Benefits. This toll-free number features information for veterans and dependents on your own VA education account with Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) and Post 9/11:

  • Active Duty, Chapter 30
  • Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP), Chapter 1607
  • Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA), Chapter 35
  • POST 9/11: Veterans and Dependents, Chapter 33

Veterans and dependents with a VA Education Benefits question can call 1-888-GI Bill®-1 (1-888-442-4551) and obtain information 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To reach a VA Education Case Manager, call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) Monday through Friday.

Customer Service is also available on the web with FAQ's or to send inquiries about VA benefits.

For questions about Vocational Rehabilitation Education Benefits, Chapter 31, call 1-800-827-1000.

VA Education Service

The Education and Training page under the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website is the primary source of information pertaining to education programs administered by VA for veterans and dependents. Visitors are able to read short descriptions of the benefits or view pamphlets that describe the various education programs in greater detail.

Lincoln VA Regional Office
(800) 827-1000

VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Clinic
(402) 489-3802

Lincoln Veteran Center
(402) 476-9736

Nebraska Department of Labor: Career Center


This webpage does not contain all VA rules and regulations that pertain to VA Educational Benefits. For further information, please contact the:

Veterans Affairs Regional Office, 1-888-442-4551


UNL VA Coordinator, 16 Nebraska Union, (402) 472-4130