Isakson and Roe Checklist

Isakson and Roe Act Section 1018

In accordance with Section 1018 of Public Law 116-315, Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln will follow what Section 1018 codifies in statute the following requirements:

  • Schools must provide a covered individual (a student using benefits under chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, or 35 of title 38, U.S.C., or chapter 1606 of title 10, U.S.C.) with a College Financing Plan (personalized shopping sheet) that contains the information listed below. The College Financing Plan is available to those students with a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file.

As part of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln ongoing commitment to serve student veterans and service members, UNL has agreed to adhere to the "Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members." In accordance with those Principles, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln provided all students who filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and were awarded aid with a Financial Aid award letter to inform you of the total cost of attendance and any potential aid you may receive. Your award letter and aid can be found with your Financial Aid information in your MyRed, under accept/decline awards. You also should have received an email and or a letter informing you of the aid you have received.

You can find general information about the university and campus financial aid statistics at,, and Also, if you have not applied for financial aid and would like to do so, you can apply online at We encourage all students to apply for the FAFSA so that they can see what aid they may be eligible for. In addition to military and veteran benefits, you may be eligible for additional government funding.

In addition, you can also find GI Bill financial information on the VA GI Bill Comparison Tool.

However, as a veteran/service member or family member, you may also be eligible for VA education benefits and/or tuition assistance. If you plan on using VA education benefits, military tuition assistance, or have questions about eligibility please contact the UNL Military and Veteran Success Center at 402-472-4130

Husker Hub can be contacted by phone, email, walk-in visits, or newly the online virtual queue. The Husker Hub email is and to locate their virtual queue you can go to and select meet with a specialist. Husker Hub can also be reached by phone at 402-472-2030.

Readmission for Military Service Members

The University of Nebraska- Lincoln acknowledges that students may be temporarily unable to attend classes or be required to suspend their studies in order to perform military service. UNL encourages such students to resume their education once a military service obligation has ended and adopts this policy to ensure the timely readmission of such students.

In accordance with federal regulations, 34 C.F.R. 668.18 and the Department of Defense (DOD) Voluntary Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), the university will promptly readmit service members who seek readmission to a program that was interrupted due to a uniformed service obligation.

Student Responsibility

The student must provide oral or written notice of a uniformed service obligation to the Military and Veterans Success Center as far in advance as possible, unless precluded by military necessity. Such notice does not need to indicate when the student will return to the university.

Tuition and Fees

A returning student must be charged the same tuition and fees in effect during the last academic year the student attended, unless veteran’s education benefits or other service member education benefits will pay the amount in excess. For subsequent academic years, the returning student may not be charged tuition and fees in excess of what other students in the program are charged.

Readmission Requirements

A returning student will be permitted to reenroll in the next semester scheduled in the same academic program, unless the student requests a later date of reenrollment or agrees to a different program. A returning student will be readmitted into the same academic program the student was enrolled in prior to the military service or the student requests admission to a different program.

If the university determines that a returning student is not prepared to resume the program or is unable to complete the program, the university must make reasonable efforts to enable the student to resume or complete the program at no additional cost to the student. If such efforts are unsuccessful or place an undue hardship on the university, the university is not required to readmit the student.

In accordance with federal regulations, returning students who receive a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge from the Armed Forces (including the National Guard and Reserves) are not eligible for readmission under this policy. However, service members who receive dishonorable or bad conduct discharge may remain eligible for readmission even though they will not be entitled to the benefits outlined in this policy.

University of Nebraska Catalog

  • Accommodate short absences for such services in the Armed Forces.
  • University of Nebraska Catalog (academic year specific)
    • In accordance with federal regulations, 34 C.F.R. 668.18 and the Department of Defense (DOD) Voluntary Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), the university will promptly readmit service members who seek readmission to a program that was interrupted due to a uniformed service obligation.
  • Schools must provide covered individuals with the requirements for graduation and a graduation timeline.
    • Degree Evaluations via Office of the Registrar
  • Accredited educational institutions agree to obtain approval of the respective accrediting agency for each new course or program
  • The University of Nebraska is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), validating the quality of the institution as a whole- including its academic offerings, governance, ad Schools must designate an employee of the educational institution to serve as a point of contact for covered individuals and family members seeking assistance:
    • Military and Veteran Success Center