Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What documentation is required for VA education benefits?

Use the table below to determine what documentation is required:

Select from the following documents needed

Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active Duty Discharge from Active Duty (DD214) –OR– Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs
Montgomery G.I. Bill - Select Reserve/National Guard
(Chapter 1606)
Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), which may be obtained from your Educational Officer.
Members of the Nebraska National Guard may obtain a NOBE from their Educational Officer at
REAP - Reserve Educational Assistance Program
(Chapter 1607)
Discharge from Active Duty (DD214), or Military orders
Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
(Chapter 31)
You must meet with a VA counselor to apply for Chapter 31 benefits at the Lincoln VA Regional Office 1-800-827-1000.
Once the VA counselor determines your eligibility, he or she will send a payment authorization to the UNL Military and Veteran Success Center.
DEAP Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program
(Chapter 35)
Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs

What do I need to start my VA educational benefits at UNL?

The first step: apply for admissions to the college. Once you have applied for admission, please visit Military and Veteran Success Center at the City Union and complete a Veteran’s Request for Education Benefits form through Deb Quinn (must be completed each semester).

What if I have received benefits at another institution?

Submit form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training and request official transcripts from all other institutions.

How long does it take to receive benefits?

Veterans applying to receive benefits may request to have their tuition due date deferred each semester enrolled. If you are using your educational benefits for the first time, it usually takes eight to ten weeks to receive your first educational benefit check.

I want to start using VA educational benefits. What do I need to do?

Contact the Veterans Affairs Educational Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 first to determine status of your educational benefit or contacting them via email by submitting a question found on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. After your educational benefits are determined, visit your VA Certifying Official at UNL, Deb Quinn, (402) 472-4130.

What do I need to bring with me to start using VA benefits?

The first time you visit Military and Veteran Success Center at UNL to use your educational benefits, you will need to bring with you your copy of your DD-214 Member-4 and Certificate of Eligibility.

How do I apply for benefits?

You can apply for your educational benefits at (Apply for Benefits). You will need to fill out the online VONAPP to initiate the steps to apply for benefits.

What is a VONAPP?

The VONAPP is the VA Online Application found at and is used for all veteran and dependents educational benefits.

Which DD Form 214 do I need?

We need the Member-4 copy of your DD-214. This is the copy that shows your Type of Separation and your Character of Service on the bottom of the page.